PAWS will help you and your pet to stay together, just like Jodi and her kitty.
History of PAWS
- Founded as P.A.W.S. North County, our Mission: to assist HIV/AIDS clients in keeping their companion animals.
- The Founder runs the organization out of her car and home.
- Based on great need, the P.A.W.S. North County Board votes to expand services to low-income disabled and elderly.
- Neighboring organization, P.A.W.S. San Diego, closes its doors. The P.A.W.S. North County Board votes to help by absorbing them. We are officially renamed P.A.W.S. San Diego County, Inc.- a county-wide service organization.
- P.A.W.S. acquires a permanent food storage location in North County in collaboration with Fraternity House, Inc.
- P.A.W.S. receives a bequest from long time client and animal lover, Emilie Farmer.
- P.A.W.S. grows 200% in clients and partners with the San Diego Humane Society for office space & food storage.
- P.A.W.S. begins a new client in-take process that includes a home visit and referral program. We visit to see if the owner and animal(s) are doing okay and if they need other human or animal services.
- P.A.W.S. conducts its first Client Satisfaction and Statistical Survey— learning first-hand our clients’ greatest needs and what we could do to help.
- P.A.W.S. acquires a new permanent home on Euclid Ave. with ample room to store food.
- P.A.W.S. monthly food deliveries exceed 200 clients!
- P.A.W.S. acquires its first general operating grant from the Silva Moonwalk Foundation. The grant helps to pay for overhead expenses and veterinary care vouchers.
- P.A.W.S. gives out an average of 60 veterinary care vouchers per month (average voucher is for $65.00).
- With grant funds from Las Patronas, P.A.W.S. acquires a one-ton capacity van to use for pick-up of food donations and client transportation to and from veterinary appointments.
- A 2-year grant from the Gary & Mary West Foundation helps P.A.W.S. provide services to more elderly clients.
- PAWS San Diego adds 10-15 clients per month and with your financial support, we can do even more!
- PAWS is 100% funded by local businesses, community foundations, private grants, Fiesta del PAWS, in-kind food donations and individual donors like you.
- We outgrew our Euclid Ave. space and are now at a wonderful location on Fairmount Ave.
- PAWS embarks on a 3-year strategic plan with the aid of San Diego Social Venture Partners.